Client Situation: Middle-aged couple with grown kids and both spouses recently retired from IT industry. The couple was very passionate about Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) and both highly active in their respective charities; they give of their time and expertise as well as with money.
Investable Assets: $2.5 million – mostly retirement assets, but also some taxable with several large positions in low basis tech stocks.
Beacon Pointe Value Add:
We understand that every client has their own unique financial circumstances. Our success in the case was predicated on:
- Helped clients understand the investing space – SRI/ESG/Sustainable/Impact
- Portfolio Management & Planning
- Illustrated historical performance that competes with market returns while reflecting client values
- Reviewed a sample Social Investment Policy Statement which we helped the client develop
- Discussed and demoed how Beacon Pointe uses state-of-the-art technology in our planning process, implementing a dynamic online financial planning dashboard, etc.
- Beacon Pointe’s Manager Research Department has a dedicated focus on SRI and Impact Investing strategies, with emphasizing on both inclusion (environment, social, governance) as well as traditional exclusion
- Beacon Pointe has over 20+ years of SRI/ESG experience
- Have portfolio reflect their personal values
- Have portfolio reflect their planning goals
- Hold the client accountable to an annual budget via the use of Beacon Pointe’s financial planning dashboard/portal
- Offer the client opportunities for further education in the SRI space
Beacon Pointe Action Items:
- Complete review of portfolio using their Social Investment Policy Statement as a guideline
- Used several private placements in the Impact Investing space
- Execute on exit strategy for taxable positions over time
- Coordinate with CPA on tax planning
- Initiate a DAF as well as 529 Plans for grandchildren
- Work with next generation on their planning and investing small amounts of money; facilitate a personal relationship with the next generation of the family’s investors
- Follow up on the personal referral to the client’s brother
- Invited them to our quarterly client education seminar series which they can attend in person or remotely
Important Disclaimer: Case studies presented are hypothetical scenarios and intended for illustrative purposes only. They do not represent an actual client or an actual client’s experience, but rather are meant to provide an example of the Beacon Pointe’s process and methodology. An individual’s experience may vary based on his or her circumstances. There can be no assurance that the Firm will be able to achieve similar results in comparable situations. No portion of this case study is to be interpreted as a testimonial or endorsement of the Firm’s investment advisory services, and it is not known whether the hypothetical clients referenced approve of the Firm or its services. The information contained herein should not be construed as personal investment advice.
© Beacon Pointe Advisors. All Rights Reserved.